The 2019 Flint Hills Beef Fest grass contest is closed. Each operation was allocated one pen (steers or heifers). The first choice was offered and any additional desired entries from the same operation (i.e, same or different family member names) were compiled in March 2019. Entries were limited to 37 Pens Steers, 34 Pens Heifers and the results announced at the annual Awards Banquet. This years top prize winners were,
- Grass Futurity (Steers): Anderson Ranch of Alma with a contest gain of 2.357 pounds per day.
- Grass Futurity (Heifers): Arndt Farms of Emporia with a gain of 2.645 pounds per day.
- Live Stocker Show Winner (Steers): G&J Meats Farm and Ranch of Leroy.
- Live Stocker Show Winner (Heifers): Haun Ranch of Fall River.
- Beef Fest Grand Award Winner (Steers): G&J Meats Farm and Ranch of Leroy
- Beef Fest Grand Award Winner (Heifers): Arndt Farms of Emporia.
Complete Results for both the steers and heifer divisions for grass and grandstand contests in 2019 are available at the following links:
Cattle arrived processed, branded, with the Individual Beef Fest visual tags already in the ear (distributed after the random drawing from forms received by March 9). Cattle were received and tagged with EID’s at Emporia Livestock Sales. If you would like to ensure your pen is part of next years contest, please complete the entry form and send to the address on the form to reserve your spot for next year. Or, you can stop by and enter in person at Frontier Farm Credit or the Lyon County Extension Office.
The Grass Futurity is a weight gain contest for stocker cattle that runs from approximately April 30, 2020 through August 16, 2020. The pen of 3 cattle in each division, steer and heifer, with the greatest adjusted gain on grass is the winner. Cattle will also be judged for show performance and a grand winner awarded based on the performance in both the show and futurity divisions.